One of America’s premier artists was largely responsible for the way the interior of Emmanuel appears today. In 1905, following the deaths of two of the Parish’s more prominent members, he came to Cumberland and redesigned the Chancel. Over the course of 18 years, various component parts of his design were acquired and installed.
The Adoration of the Shepherds is the most prominent window in the Church. At the east end above the High Altar, it depicts a scene derived from a painting by the same name by the French artist Adolphe-William Bouguereau. The theme celebrates the beginning of the congregation on Christmas Day, 1749.
The High Altar and Reredos are of Carrara marble and Caen stone, carved by Tiffany Studios and dedicated in 1906.
A cross and pairs of candelabra and candlesticks were designed by Tiffany and executed and purchased over the years as memorial gifts. The signed drawings for these items are framed and hang in the Parish House.
The Second Coming of Christ is the subject of the window in the west wall of the Church. It also was made in 1906 and is in the Art Nouveau style.
Rizpah, whose story appears in the Second Book of Samuel, is depicted in the window of the south transept. This is perhaps the most unusual of the Tiffany windows, owing to its dark subject, the use made of purples and oranges, and the Art Deco style in which this work is rendered.